Spiritual intuitive types like me – we don’t just “get sick.” Nope. We have a “clearing” and we “process” deep unresolved stuff really really fast, and it LOOKS like the flu.
***Disclaimer: Whether you believe this line of thought or not, I put it to you- it’s a super empowering and positive way to experience “being sick.” But if you’re willing to check this perspective out, read on. If you are simply too inflamed by the idea that an illness might have deeper reasons, a purpose, and a productive result, stop reading now. The rest is just going to irritate you.
****Secondary Disclaimer: Dude, I’m not a doctor. If you’re sick, and you’ve got worrisome symptoms that need care, get professional help with that. This article doesn’t take the place of responsible health care. I’m all for integrating intellect with intuition. Not replacing logic with intuitive woo stuff.
*****Tertiary Disclaimer (yes, I am a former lawyer, thanks for asking): I don’t know if His Holiness the Dalai Lama would agree with me about the Spiritual Flu. But I love this pic, and I am certain he would giggle about parts of this article.
The Spiritual Flu – It’s REAL
I’m getting over the flu right now. My head is still stuffy, and my cough sounds like a monster. I’ve got enough energy to write this, but not much else. I haven’t eaten anything solid in 3 days. And I feel SO GRATEFUL for this process.
Thousands of intuitively awakening folks have come through my world. For the past 20 years, it’s been my profession to empower intuitive folks. I help them clarify their gifts with the Soul Gift Quiz. I help them open past old programming with the 7 Life Initiations. And I even help them build a business to get PAID bringing their intuitive gifts to the world. So I know about the process of intuitive awakening, and how it relates with creativity and business!
I can tell you with some certainty – the Spiritual Flu is something that happens to just about all of us intuitively gifted folks at some point. It seems to be an effective (though not comfortable) way to release old fears and patterns, and to allow the body to upgrade to a higher intuitive frequency. When you’re rested, resourced, and open… it can last just 6 hours. But if you went in exhausted, resist it, refuse to take care of yourself, or fail to see what it REALLY is… it can feel more miserable and last weeks. (Just another reason to take care of YOU first!)
Signs that you have the Spiritual Flu
- You’re freaking intuitive, and at some point before it comes on, you get that feeling like… I’m going to get sick, and it’s all right.
- It comes when you need time to integrate a big realization you just had, where you courageously chose to give up an old restrictive belief.
- It nails you especially when you refuse to stop and take it easy when you first get tired.
- It travels through different parts of your body to clear out that old thought pattern from every cell.
- During the flu, you have memories pop up, chaotic thoughts related to the pattern you’re releasing.
- You have strong emotions move through, causing you to burst into tears at times, even when you’re not THAT achy.
- You likely have visions or feelings of helpers/angels/spirit guides holding ritual space for you while you release.
- Somehow, purging (aka barfing) becomes a prayerful experience of surrender and gratitude.
- Your body gets super sensitive and you KNOW what to eat, drink, imbibe… intuitively… to take care of yourself.
- Help shows up miraculously to support you through the illness.
- As you begin to feel more well, your mind is super clear (you can see what’s important)…
- And your heart is super open (you feel sensitive and available).
- Spontaneous prayer happens, especially as you are feeling better, feeling the clarity, feeling gratitude.
- When it’s over, you feel like a new person, and your intuitive gift has an “Upgrade” that is obvious to you. You’re not afraid of the old stuff anymore.
I’m not saying the “Spiritual Flu” is not related to the physical seasonal cold. Of course they can overlap. But I am saying that when you’re spiritual, intuitive, and sort of an “undercover agent for God” it sure seems like being “sick” can be an opportunity for clearing out, re-setting, and even upgrading your intuitive abilities and energetic coherence.
But hey, it still feels pretty miserable in the short term. So, in addition to getting appropriate physical medical care (I love my MD who is also an acupuncturist!) I want to share some things that have helped me and my clients when we feel this process happening!
Stuff that helps when you have the Spiritual Flu:
- Create sacred space to be “sick” in. Imagine the sweat lodge. This is your purification lodge. Light a candle.
- Ask for spiritual support. Invite your imaginary friends, guides, and angels in to protect and hold you while you do the work that’s in the Highest good.
- Treat your spirit guides like nurses – order them around! Let them take care of you!
- Keep re-setting your thoughts to seeing this “sick” time as a positive opportunity to take care of yourself, release old gunk, and welcome an upgrade. Misery is optional!
- Drink good water with pink salt and lemon, or emergenC or some electrolyte thing of some kind. Energy work takes even more of this than the “regular” flu.
- Rest (duh). If you need to take recommended meds in the evening so you can rest, don’t worry about it – Don’t deny yourself a good night’s sleep, you hippie purist!
- Chilled Watermelon. Ah. Thanks Mom!
- Don’t eat if you don’t want to eat. Trust your appetite. Most healthy folks would do GREAT to fast on water for up to 30 days! (ask your practitioner of course) I know it sounds nutty in our all-you-can-eat culture, but if you give your digestive system a break, that’s 70% of your vital force that is usually put towards digestion that can now go towards clearing this gunk out.
- No open mouthed kissing. (Sometimes I just need to be reminded heehee.)
- Snuggle your pet. Let them help. And then later, be sure to clear them so they don’t carry your suffering around.
- If you feel like puking, open up and GO for it. Even if there’s “nothing” in there, the energy from your solar plexus region and your whole torso gets purged when you follow the instinct to vomit. I like to nod “yes” when I’m letting it rip, even though it feels scary to vomit. I want my body to have full permission to let it go! And this is often the turning point of the illness!
- Epsom Salt bath – I like it a couple times a day, even! Put one pound of epsom salt and one pound (yes that much) of Baking Soda in a hot bath. Get in there are breathe deep and pray. This is your sweat lodge!
- After the bath, get under your covers and keep hot/warm to let a fever do its work – as long as this feels right to you!
- Follow your intuition as well as your doctor’s advice! Use muscle testing on yourself to find out what your body needs, if it’s not clear to you already.
- Call a friend! Being sick alone sucks. Call a friend and let them say “poor you” and bring you soup. Remember, you’d love if they’d call you for help! So give them the opportunity to help you!
Hey, I know having the Spiritual Flu can feel crappy. You can feel lonely, dejected, and even hopeless! It can include big peaks of emotional intensity. It can feel like it’s NEVER going to end! But stay connected to your Knowing. Listen to your body. Surrender to the Rest. Let yourself have it. Take care of yourself. Be your own doting mommy, or let a friend dote on you! You can get through this.
It’ll be simple, fun, and an immediate validation of your intuitive gifts!
Discover your Soul's Gift
Once you understand your Gifts, I can help you channel your Genius, and eventually step into being a Genius Incarnate – a leader who is respected, trusted, and fully embodied in integrity.
The first step is knowing what your Gifts are!Learn Your Soul Gift Now